Opinion from global food and drink experts, Zenith Global
Header

Strangest story of summer

August 22nd, 2019 | Posted by Richard Hall in Richard Hall

And an old one too.

US-based CBS News recently reported that “leaving bottled water in your car could start a fire”.

Firefighters were apparently warning people not to leave plastic bottles of water in their car because direct sunlight could “start a fire in just a couple of minutes”.

The alert dates back to 2017 when a bottle left in a truck in Idaho caused a burn mark in the seat underneath. The driver, taking a break, noticed “some smoke out of the corner of my eye”. He “looked over and realised light was being refracted from a water bottle and was starting to catch the seat on fire.”

After disbelieving colleagues dismissed the story, the incident was re-created on video and posted on Facebook. Many fire authorities then conducted their own tests.

So, the advice is … store your bottle out of the sun. Otherwise water could burn!

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *