Naming the trend – NOLO ?June 25th, 2019 | Posted by in Richard Hall
The trend is clear. The name is not.
The trend is towards adult taste drinks with less or no alcohol. It’s there in:
• spirits, from 30% alcohol by volume sugar-free Smirnoff Infusions to distilled non-alcoholic Seedlip
• wines, from 9-10% alcohol by volume Barefoot Refresh to organic non-alcoholic Zéra
• beers, from 0.5% alcohol by volume BrewDog Nanny State to alcohol free Heineken 0.0. It’s also growing in soft drinks, such as:
• mixers from Fever-Tree to Coca-Cola Signature
• cordials from Bottlegreen to Robinsons Fruit Creations • carbonates from Purdey’s multivitamin juice drink to South Africa’s The Duchess non-alcoholic gin and tonic
• plus kombucha and so much more. So, what should the category be called ? Is it
• Alcohol-free ?
• Zero alcohol ?
• Zero proof ?
• Non-alcoholic drinks ?
• Adult drinks ?
• Adult soft drinks ?
• Craft soft drinks ?
• Low and no alcohol ?
These names all represent different aspects, with different limitations. How about NOLO ? It’s terrible, but it might work. It’s short and embraces the full spectrum. I’d be interested in other views.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.