After 10 years of its Dairy Roadmap sustainability programme, the UK dairy industry has reported on its progress over that time.
The results are to be commended:
• 24% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from milk production
• 24% increase in water efficiency
• 18% uplift in energy efficiency
• 85% of HDPE milk containers now recycled
• almost 90% drop in waste to landfill from 35% to 4%.
Also of note:
• Dairy is the largest UK agricultural sector, accounting for 15% of output value, worth £8,800 million in wholesale sales and employing over 70,000 people.
• The UK dairy sector is no 3 in Europe and no 10 worldwide.